My Life - So Far

"Unbounded ambition makes an obscure existence simply impossible for me"
Lucien de Rubempré

Monday, February 22, 2010

Kuala Lumpur I

When we came back from Vietnam we landed in Singapore at around 1AM. Sophie didn't feel well and Silvan never intended to go to Kuala Lumpur, so I was the only one who had to wait for the flight with Tiger Airways at 6AM. There was no use going to the city, so I waited at the airport, which was rather boring, as I was not at the main terminal but at the budget which doesn't house a lot of stores. However, I found a boostore and looked through the Lonely Planet for KL and wrote down some places to visit. Among these, the Luna Bar seemed very promising, but also the Sultan Lounge at the Mandarin Oriental. At least I had some ideas where to go in the evening. The flight was short and I arrived pretty early at the airport in KL. However, it takes some time to get into the city. There is a free bus run by Asia Airlines that brings you to the center, but it takes almost an hour (which is about the time you need by plane from Singapore to KL). Fortunately, I could already check in at the hotel in the Indian district which is called Masjid Jamek. As I only had one day to spend in KL, I immediately took a taxi to the Menara KL, a 421m tall TV tower. It's the worlds fifth tallest TV tower and one had some stunning views from its top.

Then I went right to the Petronas Towers, which were the highest buidlings in the world from 1998-2004. Actually I wanted to go up to the Skybridge that connects the two towers. However, I wasn't so lucky this time, because it was closed that day.
I then decided to walk to the Hotel Maya, which is included in the Wallpaper* guide and famous for its interior design. As it was pretty hot outside, I had a coffee at the bar and enjoyed the atmosphere in the hotel lobby. If I ever return to KL this is the hotel of choice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home